Talking To My Zelph

My quest for freedom from the LDS religion.

My Photo
Name:
Location: OA, Offworld

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Another "Pop In" Visit By The Bishop

Sunday night around 8:00. The wife and kids and I had just settled in to watch The Polar Express since we wanted to get into the spirit of the holiday season.

Knock, knock, knock.

Damn. I've learned that a visitor on a Sunday night is never a good thing.

It was the Bishop. This is the second time in about a month he's just "dropped by" for one reason or another. This time it was to extend a release to my wife who's been serving as our ward's Compassionate Service Leader for the past year or so. I thought maybe he was letting her out of the job because she hasn't been to church for a couple of months (my influence!)
But nope, he wanted to toss yet another meaningless "calling" her way. I wasn't in the room at the time to hear what the job was, so I wasn't aware of it until I'd later asked her what else it was that he wanted. She told me it was for another calling and that she'd turned it down. (Yay!)

Since the Bishop seems to be getting a little bit more bold about just coming over whenever he damn well pleases, I went ahead and finally composed my letter of resignation yesterday morning. All I need to do now is mail off a copy to the Bishop and one to the Stake President in order to set things in motion.

My wife was a little upset when I informed her of the letter.

"I was hoping it wouldn't come to this." She told me.

I told her that it was just the next logical step to take since I knew I'd never go back to the LDS church again.

I was hoping that I'd be able to show her the things that I'd discovered about the church, things that it tries so hard to suppress from its members by brushing them aside or pretending that they don't matter, or even worse, that they don't exist. But she has yet to read any of the books, visit any of the websites, or watch any of the videos.

"I hadn't intended on doing this alone, you know," I said. "I wanted us to resign together, as a family, but the Bishop is forcing my hand here. I've got to take a stand for the sake of my own sanity and emotional well-being, as well as for the sake of the kids."

I then began a lecture about how I believed the church can actually be a harmful influence on children. Richard Packham has an excellent essay concerning this topic and can be found at:
http://home.teleport.com/~packham/children.htm

She didn't have much to say in response. I think she's just still in shock over all this, just as I was for a period of several weeks once I realized that everything about the church I'd accepted as truth was actually one enormous lie.

So, my letter is written and ready for submission.

Soon, I'll be free.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would appreciate more visual materials, to make your blog more attractive, but your writing style really compensates it. But there is always place for improvement

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home