Talking To My Zelph

My quest for freedom from the LDS religion.

My Photo
Name:
Location: OA, Offworld

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Blessing and a Bishop

Weekend Incident #1:
Another dinner at the in-law's house this past Sunday evening.

Dad-in-law was taking care of his mom, so he wasn't there for dinner. With his absence, mom-in-law called on the next presiding "priesthood" holder, my bro-in-law to call on someone to ask the blessing on the meal.

I'll give you three guesses on who he asked...

If you answered "you, Al", then you would be absolutely correct.

My heart began to race because I knew this would be a moment of truth for me. I could either continue to "play the game" and agree to pray to the mormon god, in whom I no longer have faith, or I could finally draw some sort of line in the proverbial sand.

"I'd rather not, thanks," was my reply.

I must have entered some kind of mindless trance after this, because I don't even remember what his reaction to this was or who he called on after my polite refusal. I just know that inside, I was dancing my own personal jig, because I had finally taken a critical first step in solidifying my resolve against mormonism among my TBM family-in-law and it went better than I'd ever imagined.

But then I expected some sort of inquiry from the ex-bishop bro-in-law, and it never came.

Nothing.

I was sure that he of all people would be the first to come right out with a "what's going on?" either right there in front of everyone, or at least later in a more private conversation, but he never did. I'm left to wonder if he at least asked my wife about the situation, in which case she probably would have admitted to him that I'm now a non-believer in mo-ism.

Weekend Incident #2:
There was a knock on our door yesterday morning. I happened to be the one closest to the door, so I hesitantly approached the peep-hole. (I say "hesitant" because I hate visitors to our door. It's never anyone I care to see, only people trying to sell something or ask me to do something.)

It was the bishop.

I wasn't mentally or emotionally prepared to deal with him, especially if it had anything to do with church stuff, but I mustered a smile and opened the door anyway.

I was very cordial and even invited him inside. He's not a bad fellow, just you know... a bishop!
He was just dropping off a check to my wife to re-imburse her for some flowers she'd bought for a sick ward member.

Oh, and he also had in his hand an invitation to the "trunk or treat" ward activity which takes place tonight.

We made some small talk, but I used every possible distraction (i.e. kids) to leave the room, thus avoiding any serious issues. He did say "we miss you at church" and I just mumbled an "oh, yeah?" because I just couldn't think of anything better to say.

Then he said "we hope to see you soon" and I said, "well, we'll probably see you at the truck or treat tomorrow night."

So, I guess that means we're going tonight.

Crap. It's just too bad my costume doesn't have a mask to conceal my look of complete disdain (is that the right word to use here?) at being there.

Maybe it's not too late to change my costume and I could go as Satan. Would that send the right message?

2 Comments:

Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

I like your blog. I'm wondering if we're in the same stake since mine does trunk-or-treating too. I'm in Montana. It could be that it's a mormon tradition church-wide, I don't know.

I wish you luck in your journey without mormonism clouding the way!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Al Jordan said...

Thanks SML. I appreciate that!

I live on the fringes of Salt Lake City, so we're not in the same stake.

Could be worse, I suppose. I could be living in Provo.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home