Talking To My Zelph

My quest for freedom from the LDS religion.

My Photo
Name:
Location: OA, Offworld

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Trunk or Treat: The Aftermath

Okay, so the Trunk or Treat activity in the ward parking lot went very well. All three wards who meet in the building were involved with the activity, so there were an absolute ton of people.

Nothing bad was said. No invasive questions were asked. It was just a fun experience.

Sometimes I get myself all worked up about how perverse Joseph Smith and the origins of mo-ism were, that I forget that most of the people caught up in this religious cult are decent, well-intentioned, good people. It's not their fault that the church has been lying about its own history since it's conception. I'm betting that most of them are completely unaware of its shady past, just as I was for so many years.

What's sad is that they've also been programmed to resist anything that conflicts with what they've accepted as truth and the very devoted members will never allow anything to damage or alter their "testimonies" in any way.

God, I can't help but just feel bad for them. I wish there was something I could do to help, but I'm not much of an activist. All I can do now is just try to maintain damage control within my own family and keep the cancer that is the mormon cult out of the minds of my children.

I still don't know if there's any hope for my wife. I've managed to keep her from church for several weeks, but she still wears her temple garments (I understand that it can be difficult to let go of the superstitious crutch that is the enchanted underwear), and from what I can tell, she's still a believer.

There are still several hurdles that must be overcome in this journey to religious truth/freedom.

I'll have to take them one at a time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your good comment on my blog.

I agree with you that sometimes as exmo's we get worked up about what people will think of us. We went to a Halloween party Saturday night with people from our old ward, the one where I went apostate. Even the 2nd Counselor in the bishopric was there and not a word of my apostasy. We had a good time but I kept looking for the beer.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Al Jordan said...

Thanks for visiting my blog AE! I've been reading yours for a few weeks now and finally worked up the courage to leave a comment there.

I'm more of a lurker than an active poster, but maybe that will change in the near future.

I'll see you around the bloggersphere!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home