Talking To My Zelph

My quest for freedom from the LDS religion.

My Photo
Name:
Location: OA, Offworld

Thursday, October 09, 2008

My 2 Cents on Prop. 8

It seems to me that the LDS "church" is once again sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong with regards to California's Proposition 8.

First of all, what exactly IS Prop. 8? According to the entry on Wikipedia:

"Proposition 8 is an initiative measure on the 2008 California General Election ballot titled Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry. If passed, the proposition would change the California Constitution to eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry in California. A new section would be added stating "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

The "church" wants everyone in California, nay, THE ENTIRE WORLD, to believe and act and think just like they do. They want to prohibit otherwise law-abiding citizens (you know, those *gasp!* GAY people) from marrying each other and having the same rights and recognition that all us fantastic straight people have. (Please note my sarcasm here!)

The "church" has admonished their flocks in California to donate their time and resources in support of this ridiculous amendment that basically encourages close-mindedness, hatred and discrimination. (see the Salt Lake Tribune article "Young Mormons urged to join fight against gay marriage in California" by Peggy Fletcher Stack: http://www.sltrib.com/lds/ci_10671847 ).

As I see it, the "church" is welcome to enforce their own little rules and regulations upon their own members, but they have no right to push their religious agenda and ideals on anyone else. Are the gays knocking on the temple door demanding to be married within it's so-called "holy" walls? Not that I've seen. What does it really hurt to allow two men or two women, who love and care for each other to have the same rights and privelages as a heterosexual couple?

The answer, quite simply, is nothing. It doesn't hurt anyone or anything (although it might offend some people who are too stubborn - or stupid - to just let go of their bigotry and arrogance and just let other people live their own lives.)

For the record, when I was an active TBM, I allowed those blowhards in religious authority to convince me that a gay lifestyle was sinful, wicked and an abomination in the eyes of god.

Let me just say that I'm glad I'm not that guy anymore!

I've worked with and gotten to know some gay men at a previous job and I came to understand them and respect them - much more so than the holier-than-thou "brothers and sisters" of my faith. I came to realize that gay people are among the least judgmental and/or arrogant in the community, whereas most of the mormons I knew were quick to judge and condemn those with opposing views and lifestyles.

We should celebrate love in all its forms - be it straight or gay. It's a precious thing and should be encouraged and supported, not feared, hated, or limited in any way.

What's my bottom line? I am whole-heartedly AGAINST Prop. 8.

Say NO to bigotry and discrimination. Vote NO on Proposition 8.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

You are a fine example of someone who followed your heart and head rather than the bigoted teachings of your upbringing. Bravo.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got into an argument with some guys at work about gay marriage. They wanted to know what my stand on it was and when I said "I don't care, it doesn't bother me", they couldn't believe it. How could I not care? I said "I'm not gay and if they were allowed to marry then it wouldn't effect me or my marriage in any way at all". They just stared at me like I had just suggested feeding babies to puppies and then feeding the puppies to babies.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Interested said...

I live in the bible belt and I can tell you that there are fewer people here who would be for Prop 8 than there are beach properties in land locked Oklahoma.

Will our country ever grow up? Will reason ever take precedent over religious fervor?

I do hope so, even if I don't think it will happen in my lifetime.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home