Talking To My Zelph

My quest for freedom from the LDS religion.

My Photo
Name:
Location: OA, Offworld

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Even More Primary Persuasion

A few days ago, one of the ladies in our local ward dropped by the house (unannounced, as usual) to drop off a customized music CD for the kids. In preparation for an upcoming Primary presentation, the Primary Presidency made these CDs to help familiarize the kids with the songs that will be sung in sacrament meeting.

My stomach churned when I read the playlist.

Of course, track #1 is titled "The Prophet Joseph Smith." (Let the mind-warping lies begin!) Duh! Joseph Smith wasn't a prophet.

Track #2 didn't seem too bad at first glance, "This is My Beloved Son." Hey, at least it's about Jesus, right? Then I noticed that the second verse begins: "Nephites gazing into heaven." There it was...another LDS lie. Damn Nephites are fictional characters. The third verse continued the perpetuated lie about Mr. Smith: "Joseph saw two glorious beings." No he didn't! He couldn't even keep his stories straight about his "experience."

Track #3 is just as bad. "An Angel Came to Joseph Smith." Hell, they really want to convince these poor children that Joseph is worthy of worship, don't they?

Track #4 is "I Know My Redeemer Lives." There's that infamous "know" being thrown about like it means something. They "know" no such thing...especially these poor kids that are being lied to and taught by their parents at such a young age to "bear their testimonies"...like they really have any understanding whatsoever of religious matters.

Track #5: "I Want to Live the Gospel". Here are a couple of the lyrical highlights: "to follow the plan of my savior and live as he wants me to do" (or as the church leadership dictates), and "Because I have learned to obey" (in other words, BLIND OBEDIENCE).

Track #6: "I'll Follow Him in Faith." God, need I say more?

Track #7: "I'm Trying to Be like Jesus." I'm going to teach my children to be like Superman - he was all about helping people too.

Track #8: "Listen, Listen" (to the still small voice) You know, that inner voice we all have inside us that tells us to do things? Haven't there been seriel killers that were killing people because the still small voice was telling them to?

Track #9: "Love is Spoken Here." Love is okay, but Truth isn't. (Ever try to convince a TBM that the "church" wasn't true? Them's fighting words in a Mormon household!) Oh, and this track has the line: "mine is a home where ev'ry hour is blessed by the strength of priesthood pow'r." Sheeya! Whatever! Invisible blessings and invisible "power". Nope, not buying it!

I will admit...the music is pretty and nice to listen to, but it's tainted by all the absurdities. Thankfully, my (still TBM, thought not currently active) wife hasn't tried to make the kids listen to it. I don't know if she thinks I'll protest against it or what, but she tucked it away on our computer desk and it's sat there ever since. I'm tempted to just toss the disk in the trash (I'll keep the case - I'll make good use of that) but haven't bothered yet. I almost like keeping all this ridiculous stuff around to remind me of all the lies and hypocricy the LDS church is capable of spewing forth on otherwise unsuspecting people.

I'm going to listen to some Blue Oyster Cult now. I love that "Don't Fear the Reaper" song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home