Talking To My Zelph

My quest for freedom from the LDS religion.

My Photo
Name:
Location: OA, Offworld

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Denying the Priesthood

I just have to say that I'm extremely proud of my 6 year old daughter.

Before our weekly get-together at the in-laws house last Sunday, I pulled my oldest two children aside and explained to them that during the blessing on the food, they didn't have to fold their arms, close their eyes, or bow their head, but that they did have to be quiet.

After everyone sat at the table, my father-in-law called on my daughter to offer the blessing. She gave a nervous smile and looked at me, then at her mother, then back to me. I could tell she wasn't comfortable giving the blessing. Since we've abandoned the practice at my house, the only time my kids see anyone praying is at these weekly gatherings.

I said to her, "you don't have to if you don't want to honey. It's okay."

She seemed very relieved to hear this. FIL then called on another grandchild to give the blessing.

I know it seems like such a small, trivial thing, but it seemed like a major victory for me. I know how intimidating it can be to be surrounded by a TBM family who expects everyone to conform to their beliefs and expectations. My daughter is aware of my separation from those kinds of beliefs and undoubtedly needs an ally for situations such as these.

Fortunately, the in-laws haven't been too fanatical in pushing the church on my children.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jake said...

Fiction, Dude. This is made-up.

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home