Talking To My Zelph

My quest for freedom from the LDS religion.

My Photo
Name:
Location: OA, Offworld

Friday, February 09, 2007

A Letter To My Father

It's been about a week or so since I was finally able to compose (and mail) a letter to my dad in an attempt to reconcile our religious differences. It was very difficult to think of what I thought might be the right things to say to make him understand why I decided to leave the church. For all I know, he threw the letter away without even reading it since I haven't heard anything from him.

I suppose the only "right" thing for me to say would be "I changed my mind, dad. I'm coming back to the church."

Sorry dad, that's never going to happen.

Well, I shouldn't say "never." If God or Jesus or one of their angels ever pays me a personal visit and tells me that the LDS church is true and that Joseph Smith was indeed a prophet, then I would ask to be re-baptized. I don't think that's ever going to happen, but I'll be sure to write a post about it if it ever does.

Maybe I just need to give my old man a little time to absorb the news and maybe someday he'll be able to accept it, even if he doesn't agree with it.

Like most Mormons, my dad's entire life seems to revolve around "the church". I can't have a discussion with him without church-related topics. Why is it that I have to be subjected to seemingly endless prattle about callings, missions, other members, etc. by Mormons, but the second I try to offer an opposing viewpoint, I'm labeled an "anti-Mormon", or "a tool of satan", and the conversation ends?

I blame it on cult mentality.

Now, I know that many people disagree with the label "cult" when talking about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, but what better word is there? It certainly bears certain cult-like characteristics, so what are we to do? If it looks like a rose and smells like a rose, shouldn't it be called a rose?

Ha, that was a strange comparison to make. I don't think the LDS church smells anything like a rose!

In other news, there hasn't been any progress in the mother-in-law situation. She did not come over to the house this past Sunday morning - probably because she knew that my wife wasn't feeling well and wouldn't make it to church anyway. I haven't yet dared to take the stand and tell her that her efforts, while well-intentioned and appreciated, aren't at all necessary.

I guess I'm just trying to maintain the status quo and keep things civil. If I stir the waters too much, I may find myself suddenly unwelcome at family events.

Oh well, if it comes to that, so be it. It's the price I'm willing to pay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home